Everyone everywhere has a mobile device, in fact I saw a recent statistic that more people own a mobile device than a toothbrush! Mobile is rapidly replacing desktop as the preferred technology and more than 60% of all Google searches are made from mobile devices.
This trend is reflected by Google’s decision to change their search algorithm on 21 April 2015 to favour sites that work well on mobile devices. Google cannot ignore the massive growth of mobile devices and mobile browsing anymore, and will start using information in different ways to make it easier for users to get relevant search results that are optimized for their devices.
Whilst this is not the first time that Google has made changes, this time is significant as it will directly impact mobile search results by favouring competitors sites that have responsive sites. Their mobile rankings will increase, leaving the rest to drop.
Here are some ways to help Google recognize your site as mobile friendly:
- Make sure all your content is playable on mobile (e.g.videos/flash movies)
- Check all redirects and links and make sure all redirects and links to mobile URLs work as expected
- Make sure Pages load quickly – this can be checked with Google Page Speed insights
What does this mean for you and your website? . . . and how do you ensure that your Google rankings don’t slide as a result of this change?
Well, fortunately there are ways to make your site mobile friendly. As we work with WordPress we will focus on this.
To make a site mobile-friendly (as per Google’s definition) – from our perspective there are 2 main options:
- Replace your existing WordPress Theme with a responsive design or mobile friendly one – which addresses size constraints and other discrepancies on different devices (phones,”phablets”, tablets, game consoles, laptops, or even wearable mobile devices),
- or Create a dedicated optimized mobile site in addition to your existing site.
This may sound daunting and there are a few things to be considered when approaching this. Tell IT Media are happy to help and will assess this on a case by case basis for individual clients. The time to embrace this change is right now!
Feel free to drop us a line should you you want to find out more:
03 8768 7747